Yes, I know its a bit late in the game for Valentines being the day before but bare with me my lovelies :)
From deep berry to the bright and fabulous, red nails can really give that pop of colour to your outfit and also add a touch of glam to your everyday style. When it comes to Valentines its more about getting the spirit of things and just enjoying having luscious red nails for the occasion.
My top five currently on the market range from super luxurious fall reds to bold statement summer tones with prices to suit everyone’s pockets in the run up to the Valentines Weekend.
1) My all time number one red nail varnish is Chanel’s Dragon (£17.50). It’s sumptuously rich in its true red colour and even with only one application the colour is bold and delicious. It has a thicker consistency than most other high end varnishes and with the right top cost can go 5 days plus without chipping! Yes it’s at the higher end on price but this polish will give you long wear, will become a firm favourite and makes a stunning gift for your Valentines Fellas *hint *Hint!
2) For a high gloss, super professional looking nail try use OPI’s Big Lost on Lombard (£11.50) This red is the middle ground between the deep darks and bold brights making it suitable for all skin tones and ages. It has a smaller brush and is super durable so even for the novice polish applier it’s easy-peasy to use.
3) Butter London’s Knees Up (£12). This super rich shimmer tone red is for the pin up girl in all of us, think Dita Von Teese or Bettie Page, gloriously sexy. It has a cooler base tone and has a metallic sheen that makes it a perfect fall nail colour. Knees up not only offers streak free, quick drying colour application but also has one of the most unique formulas on the market. The formula is ‘3 free’ which means it is free of the major harmful chemicals which most of the lower end varnishes tend to include, overall it’s a win, win!
4) Topshop– Bittersweet (£6) In all honesty I was a bit sceptical when Topshop started doing beauty products as the quality of other fashion retailers products had been extremely poor when I’ve tested them in the past but to my surprise Topshop have produced high quality at a brilliant price. Bittersweet offers a bold red after two-three coats and is long lasting if well taken care of. Layer this up with some Topshop– Figment (£6) for some wonderfully sparkly party nails.
5) Revlon Top Speed – Orient Express (£6.49) If you’re in a rush but still want that pop of colour Revlon Top Speed Fast Drying Nail varnish is for you. It has an almost silk like sheen but as it’s a buildable colour if you want the deepest sultry red layer up! It’s a brilliant quick fix for nails screaming out for colour but if you’re looking for polish that’s going to last three + days I’d grab the Topshop polish as an alternative in the same price range.
The Finishing Touches: To give extra life to all of the above alongside protecting your nails from staining I’d recommend using a base coat and top coat. The Sally Hansen Double Duty Base Coat (£5.25) is the perfect base and top coat combo that saves you the hassle of having two separate bottles and extends the life of those pretty red nails.
For extra wow factor and something away from traditional varnish try some nail wraps. Yes they can be a bit fiddly but can give a real twist for modern red nails. Nail Rock –Seeing Spots Nail Wraps (£6.65) are a bold statement wrap with a bold red base and white spots. They will look funky with your little black Valentine dress or your fabulous lovely hearts pjs (not everyone is as lucky in love as you lovelies ;))
Overall have fun with those red nails. They will certainly grab the right attention and add that extra touch to your Valentines look.
Speak Soon :)
*all images taken from Flickr shared*